A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

6...9...?

So I was trying to remember where it was that I read an article about how the Twins were lacking in home runs. (okay, so it was a Twins game recap saying how it's been 5 games since the Twins have failed to homer.) I think the Twins players got kinda mad and really were out to prove whoever the writer was that they can hit home runs. Seven home runs in the past 2 games. I am impressed to. Cuddy's home run was the most impressive tonight. It went so high, it went over the foul pole and it went so far that it was at most only 10 rows from the top of the home run porch. It was very impressive.
Justin's home run was the closest home run to hitting the Subway "hole". I've never seen anyone get a home run in that thing. Not even during batting practices where there are tons of home runs hit.

I think it's kind of funny that Joe and Justin got back-to-back home runs again tonight. I think Justin didn't want to be overshadowed by his BFF that he had to show that he can hit home runs too. It made the song "Anything you can do I can do better..." play in my head. Justin, I know you were worried that you were going to get on my naughty list too with those couple days you weren't using your slugging abilities. Don't worry, you're doing good at staying off of it.

I was having a conversation with my mother (who claims that she called Cuddy's home run...) about Delmon Young. I guess my dad was saying how much Delmon Young was sucking this year and how he really wasn't doing that well. My mother then proceeded to inform him how Delmon Young is hitting over .300 (after tonight .287 actually...but it was like .308 before tonight). I will give my dad some credit, because of the fact that when we picked up Delmon there was all this hype about how he was going to be a power house for us, and basically be a right-handed Joe Mauer batter. He's failed to produce the power hits like Joe, but he has done well with the piranha-like hits, which is in fact Minnesota Twins baseball M-O. Now don't get me wrong, Delmon Young is still on my list. I still don't care for him, but it's mainly for the fact that he can either hit well in a night, or play well in the field. He doesn't usually do both. I am just looking for him to be a well-rounded player.

Onto the 3 Stars of the Game:

1. Joe Mauer (he did good. 2-3 is really good...and Joe is just an impressive player. I think he has a good shot of making a star of each game considering he's a very consistent player.)
2. Michael Cuddyer (seem pretty obvious that this "power house" gets a star for that amazing home run blast.)
3. Joe Nathan (hi, he got the save, didn't he?!)

I wish I was able to watch the game tomorrow. I really want to see Justin play in his pink shoes. I think I would be highly entertained by it. Unfortunately I'll be at "dog days" at the Saint's game, so my brother can bring his pug to the game with us. I will however have my radio in my ears listening to the game, and hoping for the sweep for Nick Blackburn.

Monday: off day
Tuesday: me sitting in the home run porch (about where Cuddy hit the home run to...a little lower) and being able to see Kevin Slowey pitch for a change! (Pictures will follow.)

Side note from the rain delayed/rain called game: Did anyone see when they went back to Robby to get an update, and they showed Ayala, Gomez, and Mijares in the dugout pretending to drive a car or navigate a bobsled? It was the funniest thing I have ever seen (Gomez was "driving" with Ayala behind him and Mijares bringing up the rear. The announcers made a comment and called them the "Jamaican bobsled team"...only all three are not from Jamaica. Gomez - Dominican Republic; Ayala - Mexico; Mijares - Venezuela. Just a little off, but the site of those three was nonetheless hysterical!

Here's a picture of Glen's autograph on my baseball that I got from Glen Perkins (tossed to me after batting practice one game.)

No comments: