A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

YeeHaw, Long Balls, Baby!

Look, I'm part of the team now!
Not bad for sitting in section 232...

I feel you pain, Scott Baker...I really do! I am tired of watching our bullpen lose the games for us. Why is it that none of the relief pitchers (besides Joe Nathan) can have a man on base and then get the outs that are required of them? Why is it that most of them have to give up at least one run?? Shouldn't they be the ones holding the game together and making it so the other team gets NO runs? I think they should be able to do this. Sean Henn isn't doing this...he's not getting the job done in my opinion...and he has just worked his way onto my list. I'm not happy with his performance tonight. It was less than stellar. I can't be too terribly mad at Ayala (because we were already losing when he gave up a run)...I have a soft spot for him. He makes sitting by the bullpen really entertaining and I enjoy making fun of him. He's not terribly inconsistent...he just has bad outings every now and then. I can forgive that. Joe Nathan even has bad outings every once in a while. Hey...don't we all have our bad days??

What a night for home runs though? It was highly amusing when for the first few innings the Twins' only hits were also runs because they were home runs. I liked having home runs though, however. It was fantastic to start the game by Brendan Harris hitting a home run. I think all by Jason Kubel's home run went into left-center field. Those fans were lucky tonight...they got a plethora of balls. (hehe)

I also enjoyed watching Carlos Go-Gomez almost get picked off...but ready the players well to where he dived into second base and was called safe. It was a very close play, but a very good play by Go-Gomez.
Here I was thinking Delmon Young was going to have a superb night like he did last night...hits a home run in his first at bat making me look bad for not liking him...but then he didn't fail me...he got out every other time he was up to bat. Ahh, it's nice to have Delmon back.

I think the funniest thing of the night was when Tolbert came in and then came up to bat. No longer might we get to hear "Zombie" by the Cranberries...nope, tonight instead it was "Regulator" by...yes, Warren G. Not what I would really call a good walk on song, but hey...I guess I can't really say that "Zombie" is the greatest choice either. Oh Matty Tolbert, what will we do with you? HA!

I thought for sure that Crede was going to blow everyone away and get the walk-off win for us again. Unfortunately, his hit was just short of getting out of the park. It was a good attempt, but sadly, they just didn't have it in them tonight to get the job fully done and win the game, thus ending my winning streak as a fan. (And also ending the winning streak my Slowey t-shirt had going too)...Here's hoping my next game is a Win in the books.

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Brendan Harris (he was only a triple away from hitting for the cycle. His strike out was meant to be the triple...he just didn't hit it. :))
2. Scott Baker (he pitched 6 1/3 innings and did really well. I was sad that he didn't get the win after keeping the Astros to only 3 runs allowed.)
3. Jose Morales (he pinch hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th and got a solid double!)

Tonight: I did get my Twins cowboy hat...and my button for Mauer and Morneau All-Stars. I love the fact that it says "Speak Softly & Carry Bit Sticks"...it's so dirty! Love it!
Tomorrow afternoon is the family day game...the kids of the players get to play on the field before the game. I won't be there, but if anyone is, please take some pictures!! That's gotta be super cute! Glen Perkins takes the mound again, and he best be wearing the navy to make this girl happy!

Enjoy the two posts in one night!

5 comments:

Katie said...

My nerves were gone by the end of the game tonight, I knew we had a chance when they brought Crede in to pinch hit, but alas it just wasn't in the cards tonight.

I wish they would have said something sooner about tomorrow being Twins Family Day cause it was one of the games I was looking forward to, but I won't be there either as everyone I know is working!

Betsy said...

if my ass could take another day of the Metrodome seats, I'd say I'd go...but those seats 2 nights in a row are brutal!
I think my couch sounds much more comfy to watch the game from.

yeah, i was hoping he'd pull it off...but i guess we can't win them all. unfortunately!

S.Rail said...

Jose Morales. Wow. He is amazing...and cute :)

Delmon Young has somehow climbed out of last place on my favorite Twins chart. Last place as of now? ....Jesse Crain.

Kristina said...

Poor Baker :(

Betsy said...

I feel bad for Baker too! He'll get them in Milwaukee instead! :)