A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Attention K-Mart Shoppers

I think the funniest thing about last night's game was the comment I made to Katie after Joe Mauer hit his second home run of the game. I said, "After the night Mauer's had, I'd have his babies if he asked. I'd be like K-mart's blue light special for him. Good for one night only." This is coming from a girl who isn't Joe Mauer's biggest fan, or even on the Joe Mauer bandwagon. Yes, I like his as a player, but I'm not attracted to him (though my mother wishes I were so that I could meet him and marry him.).

Who would have thought that a normal 9 inning game would feel longer than the 4 hour and 48 minute 13-inning game I was at back in May. It however wasn't quite as long...but it was 3 hours and 36 minutes long. That's a long game especially considering it wasn't longer than the normal 9 innings...nor was it that terribly high score game (yes, I know we scored 9 and they score 6, but games that have scores of double digits that were shorter than last night's debacle.)

I about flew to Texas after watching our latest call up
, Humber show how Rookie he is when he fielded the ball and threw it to 3rd base where Joe Crede was not at. Joe Crede had sort of a stunned expression on his face and he just stood there befuddled like I was. Did Humber think that the base runner was his teammate (Hey, Humber...you were wearing grey jerseys last night and the Rangers were in ROYAL blue...you guys don't EVER wear ROYAL blue.)? Did he imagine Joe Crede at the bag waiting for his miraculous throw (well...not really miraculous)? Did he want to look like a giant jack-ass on TV? Did he hope to get sent back to Rochester faster than anyone could sneeze or say boo? I'm not sure what he was thinking, but he needs to rethink things like that before acting on impulse. That could have been the most costly play of the night. Thankfully Joe Mauer did seem fit to lose yet another blasted game. He decided he was going to carry the team and carry them well. Thanks, Joe.
I don't really understand why Kubel was credited with the strike out in the first inning (when Brendan Harris came in after Kubel fouled a ball painfully off his left knee and left the game with a full count.) I think the strike out should have been Harris's because a base hit or anything else would have been credited to Harris. Seems odd, and Dick agreed with me on that one.

I think it's funny that Michael Cuddyer is the only one who is above the Curse of Bert Blyleven. (For those who haven't seen previous posts: Bert's pick in "Pick the Stick" usually goes 0 for how many times they are up.). Cuddy had to be his wacky bad ass self and go 3-5, with two doubles. Thank you Cuddy for being the only one who has been known to rise above and let Bert score points in FSN's game. Maybe Bert's pick should always be Michael Cuddyer...and Dick should always pick Joe Mauer (Joe has FANTASTIC outings when Dick picks him.)

Delmon Young was a surprise at the plate last night. He had a 2-5 night, with 4 RBI's. His homerun was well needed and gratefully appreciated by all of Twins Territory.

17 comments:

Katie said...

Boo!

Is he gone yet ;-)

Betsy said...

Who, Humber? I think he left on a plane this morning. ;)

Katie said...

Yes Humber.

Good. Bring back R.A.!

Betsy said...

AMEN TO THAT!!

Katie said...

I don't understand why they wasted their time with Humber. He sucked the last time he was here.

Betsy said...

Oh good someone else remembers that too. I was wondering why they called him up too. aren't there better options? and maybe someone who wouldn't have to clear waivers if sent down?

Heidi said...

Its ok that you are not like the majority of Minnesotan women who want to be all up ons the Mauer... it means slightly more Joe for me. Joe Mauer can be my Blue Light Special any day! I think he knew I was having a crappy night and hit 2 homeruns just to make me smile. Well, at least that's what I tell myself.
Bless his heart, Delmon is finally trying to make me love him.

Katie said...

If he has to clear waivers, that more than likely means he won't be leaving anytime soon. We can't afford to lose anymore pitchers off waivers. It's pretty thin as is!

Betsy said...

Joe's only my occasional blue light special...it's not too often. :)
i think delmon is finally trying to be the player that he was supposed to be...uhh...2 years ago! lol...i'm not certain he knows how to do that every day though.

Betsy said...

Katie- that's what i fear.

Heidi said...

hey, just saying, if you would have joe mauer's babies, they would be pretty.

Katie said...

Heidi... that's what I thought too!

Betsy said...

Katie/Heidi- lol...pretty cause of him/me or both? lol

Heidi said...

both, you are both attractive people and generally when two attractive people mate the offspring is attractive. sure there are some anomalies in that theory, but overall... you'd have a good chance at attractive children.

Betsy said...

well thanks Heidi! :) maybe i should have asked for his phone number when i met him that night at the bar i worked at! lol

luckie/sarah said...

On the Humber play, I liked watching Omar mime to the other guys that he was about to catch the ball. A little confused, I guess. :)

Betsy said...

I think Humber forgot what team he played for!