A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Monday, August 31, 2009

My Boyfriend's Back


It was nice last night to see Joe Nathan back in fine form with a 1-2-3 inning. As much as I love my Joe-Betsy time (when he gets one runner on base), I've been tired of the edge-of-my-seat-nail-biter-are-we-gonna-really-win-this-one Joe. Every once in a while, it's understandable, but nothing that should be repeated on a regular basis.

It's kinda of fitting that I used the above image for my humor, because Ozzie Guillen referred to the Metrodome as a funeral home (not really sure why, other than the fact that his team SUCKS in the dome). I guess he wanted (rather wants) to take the 4 down from the number of home game remaining (since the number would then be 13, his jersey number). If this happens, I will document it (Katie and I will be there, near the bullpen tonight)...I wonder if he'll get booed.

I (like most people) was quite surprised when I heard the news about Jim Thome going to the Dodgers. I'm happy for the fact that it's a very rare occasion that the Twins face the Dodgers (and Jim Thome definitely has our number and loves hitting home runs off our pitchers), but I'm also a little sad about the trade (Jim Thome was the ONLY White Sux player that I at least respected. You can't hate that classy guy.). I'm wondering what the White Sux are up to with also getting rid of Contreras.

I enjoyed seeing Nick Blackburn pitch well last night. I'm not sure if it's the mountain man look that rocked him into being a seven strike outs machine, but whatever the kick in the pants was...I like it, and it's how he should regularly be pitching. Keep it up Pumpkin Tits.

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Nick Blackburn (7 innings, 1 Earned Run, and 7 Strike outs...he was solid!)
2. Joe Nathan (he was lights out...and got his 35 save)
3. Jason Kubel/Joe Mauer (TIE) (both went 2 for 4 with a home run, Kubel with a two-run shot and Mauer with a solo shot)

The best news of the night: the Tigers lost to Tampa Bay Rays earlier in the day, which after the Twins' win, brought them up to only 3 1/2 games back from Detroit. Thank you, Tampa Bay (especially Jason Bartlett cause I miss and love him so much!) Do we call this a pennant race or is it still better to call it a pennant chase? Whatever you want to call it, I sure hope and want the Twins to finish first!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love when Twins play Sox because that means I can watch games on tv, even if it means dealing with the stupid white sox announcers. They are the worst baseball announcers in the history of baseball announcing.
So happy Tits pitched well last night, and looked super delicious while doing so.
I don't like AJ, but seriously dude kept getting horrible calls at the plate. I almost felt bad for him...almost.

Topper said...

Stupid White Sox announcers? You mean you don't like hearing Hawk Harrelson shout "He gone!", and saying "Good-guys, 1, Bad guys, Zero"?

(It makes me want to claw my ears...)