A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Who's Got The Magic Stick?

Okay, so last night our bats weren't as chatty as they were the previous games, but at least we got a win! Scott Baker did a fantastic job pitching and kept us in the game by only allowing one earned run in 7 innings. The players in the field were making fantastic plays and impressing (I am assuming) non-Twins fans. If you are not a Twins fan, take a look at the ESPN web gems and pay special attention to Denard Span's running catch in left. I sure hope Jesse Crain's headache goes away...I'm sure he had one after he was the padding for Denard.


I am proud of the boys for getting back onto a winning streak (from previous posts: I give away 3 stars of the game and said only after at least 4 wins in a row, would I bring them back). Last night marked game #4 for wins for the Twins. I think secretly they were missing those 3 Stars of the Game and each wanted to shoot to obtain those stars. I've gotta say, I'm happy to award these again (as painful as the third star from last night's game will be to give).

I won't hold you in suspense any longer. Moving on.

Monday Night's 3 Stars of the Game:
1. Scott Baker (he pitched 7 solid innings with only 4 hits, 1 run and had 5 stikeouts)
2. Denard Span (he went 2-2 with 2 walks...and he has been really getting this team going in the lead-off spot. Glad to have him here.)
3. Alexi Casilla (I know, I don't like him...and I still have a hard time believing he made the catch on Saturday night's game, but I'll give him some credit last night. He went 2-3 with a triple, and also made good fielding plays. Good to see he's back in the 2nd half of the year gear that he was in this time last year.)

Just a thought about Casilla...maybe he should start the year next year in Triple-A (even though I think he's technically out of options after this year)...and then after the All-Star break be called up...he should be in his good stage at that part into the season. He seems to suck the beginning half of the season...so why not start that part of his season at a non-major league level.

Last night in the final inning, Joe Nathan wanted to keep us all on pins and needles again by allowing two runners to reach on WALKS. Joe Nathan doesn't give up WALKS. I was surprised that his slider didn't fool those batters better than it did (which it fooled them a lot). I'll cut him a little slack though. After having a very rough outing his last time, I'm sure he was a bit more nervous getting out there. Hoping he didn't have to wave Gardy off again.

Tonight, our rookie, newbie call-up goes up on the mound for the Twins. I don't know what to really think of this, because I haven't heard much about this kid, other than he's from the same place in the Dominican that Carlos Gomez is from. I wonder if he'll do the hip/butt bump with Go-Gomez and Casilla after the game is over (provided he wins). Armando Gabino, I wish you all the best otnigh tin your major league debut. You better not let me, or any other Twins fan down.

9 comments:

Topper said...

Casilla was a pleasant surprise. I was explaining to my Yankee roommate just how awful Casilla has been and before I could finish the sentence he lined his triple to the wall. I felt ashamed.

But I still don't buy he's a GOOD player. He's just not quite as horrible as he's been this year, so he's gotta catch fire a little bit now to bring things back up to his career average.

I love your idea about starting him in the minors. I'm nominating you for Bill Smith's position when we bar him from the front office --we need some creativity in the brass!

Betsy said...

Topper- Oh I'm not fully sold on Casilla either! He's just been playing more in his "good last year" form as of late. I hope he keeps it up, because it would definitely be a blessing to the team and maybe give them the boost they need.
And don't worry...I rag on him all the time, and I complain that O-Cab isn't a clutch hitter (and that's usually when he gets a great hit).

If you see Bill Smith's job posted, I would be more than happy to apply! He doesn't seem to know what he's doing most of the time!

Heidi said...

wow! jesse crain got denarded on that catch!
betsy, if you get bill smith's job can you hire me to do something? I could be your personal assistant or chief adorableness consultant, anything, really.

Betsy said...

Heidi - "he got denarded"...i laughed so hard when i read this! lol...
Umm..I will hire you for sure! Uniform washer maybe? :) Mauer's PA (Personal Assistant)?

Katie said...

Heidi - I love that comment!

And hold up, if Betsy's hiring, I need a job too ;-)

Betsy said...

Katie- of course I wouldn't leave you out. Director of hair cuts sound okay? :)

Katie said...

That's perfect. Nathan's on deck!

luckie/sarah said...

I've been dissing on Lexi for a while now, but the kid's trying to make his spot in the lineup--can't fault him for that. :)

Hmm...if you're handing out jobs, I'll actually move to Minnesota. Probably only for the summer--or a traveling position. That would be fun! :)

Betsy said...

Luckie/Sarah the job title of anything Slowey related is taken...by me :) I'll figure out a job for ya!