A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

You're Killing Me Smalls

Okay, seriously why does Joe Nathan insist on keeping me on the edge of my seat the past few times he's came in to close the game? Once in a while it's exciting...but wondering EVERY time he comes out now whether or not he's going to pull through and save the game is starting to get annoying.

Carlos Go-Gomez gave me a good laugh last night when he took his "Joe Mauer on a stick" and put it in front of his face. Joe Mauer definitely doesn't look good with a fro. I don't recommend it. EVER. I am slightly disappointed that I didn't go to the game last night. As lame as this sounds, I kind of want a "Joe Mauer on a Stick". It'd make me giggle enough to be worth having more crap around my house.

Seriously huge props to Brian Duensing for pitching an outstanding game. I would have loved to see him come back out in the 8th inning, but I understand that his pitch count was getting up there, hence why Matty Guerrrier came in to relieve him. I don't necessarily consider last night's game one where we "used" the bullpen. I think we used our set up man...and our nerve wracking closer, but they are guys we use repeatedly, so they will be able to pitch again. Thankfully, Brian's fantastic start is allowing Katie and I to be able to see Jeff Manship start on Tuesday night. I hope Jeff doesn't continue to be nervous when I'm watching, because I'd really LOVE to see him finally pitch, live.

I am happy to report that Bert is mathematically eliminated from Pick the Stick. Hopefully this means that he will no longer be a curse to the Twins' offense and make them do poorly...since he SHOULDN'T be allowed to pick players anymore. Hopefully this doesn't mean that Michael Cuddyer won't keep being a rock star (considering he was the only one who ever did anything when picked by Bert).

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Brian Duensing (7 solid innings, 1 ER and 8 strikeouts. Plus he was one of ESPN's top performers of last night's assorted game.)
2. Brendan Harris (he went 2 for 3 last night...sure he's no Joe Crede in the field, but I like Brendan, so it's okay)
3. Denard Span (he went 2-4 last night and started the game off right with a fantastic double off the right field baggie that Nelson Cruz had no idea how to field.)

Today, Joe Crede and I are going to meet. Maybe this is the medicine Joe Crede needs to get well. I am going to attempt to meet and greet Denard Span too, but it's not certain yet. Pictures from today's outing to come later.

Tonight: Pavano goes up against the Rangers. (Seriously, I like the Rangers...well not when the play the Twins, but in general...and I would much rather see them take the Wild Card spot than the stupid Red Sox, so I'm hoping I can jinx the Red Sox and make them continously loose so that Texas can take the Wild Card.)

Currently: The Twins are in second place once again. The White Sux lost in the bottom of the 9th inning with a walk-off 3-run home run that the Yankees hit. As much as I HATE and LOATHE the Yankees...Thank you for beating the White Sux. Now the goal is to reach and take over the Tigers first place spot. GO TWINS.

1 comment:

S.Rail said...

Yay for Brian! He needed that boost of confidence to keep him going.

Ugh, I hate the Yanks too...but when it comes to beating a divison rival, then go Yankees! ;)