A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Beautiful Ending

If there was any time to panic, today would be that day. The Twins are one loss (and a Tigers win) away from defeat. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, nor do I want to have to hear all the Tigers fans cheer and riot if the Tigers win today. Nope. I want it to come down to the wire. I want a long drawn out and nail biting season that doesn't end until the bitter end. It's been a few days since I last posted...part of the reason, is I've had real life to deal with (unfortunately) and part of the reason is because I don't want to jinx the season by saying anything wrong.

I read the funniest quote from Justin this morning on the Star Tribune's site:

"Every night I dream about some scenario," Morneau said. "Like, what if I swing a lighter bat?"

He added: "I had a dream the other night that I was playing right field. And [Matt] Tolbert was playing center field. It was unbelievable. We were in Pittsburgh, and we were playing on a high school field. We were up 8-1, but I couldn't hit the ball out of the infield. Detroit lost, so we would have been tied, but we ended up losing 9-8."

How could they blow that lead?

"It was frustrating because I was playing right field, and I couldn't move, and Tolbert kept standing right next to me. I couldn't get him to move over, and they kept hitting balls to center."


I've realized I miss Justin. Yes, he is sitting on the bench every night and every time they show the dugout, he's there, but it's not quite the same as seeing him puff up his cheeks to swing at the fast balls that he enjoys and crank a homer out of the park. I also still miss Kevin Slowey. I have been very deprived, and I haven't even got to enjoy seeing him on the bench during this road trip. My guess is that he didn't make this trip, which is very sad.


Now, my stipulation for today's game. If the Twins pull this off and win today...I will go back through all the games I've missed writing about and award the three stars of the game. They haven't lost a series since I last blogged, so they haven't been revoked. But if the Twins lose, I won't award them the rest of the season, and the past ones will fade away into the Twins existence, sort of like the Metrodome. Now, I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but Mike Remond is behind the plate going into today's game. Our odd have just decreased. I'm trying to stay positive though....but amongst this rain in Minnesota and in my heart, it's difficult.


Updates after the game.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I miss Justin too :( I didn't realize how much I missed him till they were talking to him last night during the game.

I, too, wanna see this season come down to the game on Sunday. I wanna see it end up like 2006 did, damn it!

Betsy said...

it'd be such a great way to send the Metrodome out...in style!

Heidi said...

ok, so Justin looked really drugged up last night. though if you have a back problem, I would assume you'd be on some pretty good stuff. but maybe that's why he's been having the dreams.

Betsy said...

He probably is on very good stuff! :) But I think maybe he just needs to stop having so much sex...probably make his back feel better! lol...