A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Well Just Rip My Heart Out

I'm glad Joe Nathan reminded me today how he is a guy, and at some point in time every guy breaks a girls heart...especially girls that love them. It was tough today listening to the game at work and hearing Joe Nathan give up back to back home runs...I think it was even harder watching the replay...like putting salt in a open wound. But I found myself drawn to watching the replay. It was like watching an accident happen and then being one of those annoying gawkers that drive slowly past the scene. Don't get me wrong, I still love Joe Nathan...I just don't like the heart ache. I have determined it must be the fact that Joe Nathan needs a haircut and this must be why he has been doing so spotty lately.

Overall, and even up until Konerko was down to his last strike, I thought the Twins had this game and I was wishing I was at the game to hold up the sign that Katie and I had last time (see sign)But then Paul Konerko provided to be the douche bag that he is and got a home run to tie the game in the bottom of the 9th. Joe Nathan at least is awesome enough to take responsibility for the loss. I respect people who are willing to own up to their mistakes and admit when they have screwed up. I know it doesn't happen to Joe Nathan very often, it's just unfortunate that it had to happen in this game.

I couldn't believe the reversal on Michael Cuddyer's leaping catch in right field. For those who didn't see, Cuddy leaped up and the ball hit the heal of his glove and rolled to the webbing. Cuddy squeezed the glove though before it had a chance to come out of his glove. He had the ball the whole time however. We'll initially they ruled the catch and out, but after having a pow wow, they reversed the call and gave the guy a double instead. It was a BS call but thankfully it didn't cost the Twins in the long run.

Brian Duensing was outstanding pitching 7 innings with zero earned runs. Duensing has really stepped up and I think he's surprised a lot of people. I knew he was capable of being great and I'm glad to see he's finally getting some recognition. He deserves it.

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Brian Duensing (pitched 7 fantastic shut out innings and looked like a rock star as well. It's great to see these rookies killing it!)
2. Denard Span (went 3 for 4 and was a rock star...like Cuddy...who tried his hardest to catch that 2nd home run that went over the left field wall!)
3. Jason Kubel (went 2 for 3 with our only 2 RBI's)

Honorary stars go to:
1. Jose Morales (as a White Sux killer, he is 11-13 against Chicago pitching.)
2. Michael Cuddyer (yes, his "catch" was a real catch...it didn't hit off the baggie, it was an out. The ball was ALWAYS in Cuddy's glove. Thankfully that "double" didn't cost us a run.)

Now, I know that the stupid White Sux won this game...unfortunately, but they still act like a bunch of whiny babies when playing the Twins in the Dome. Everything you can think of, they use as their excuse. For their crying, I offer....Kleenex. Cheers.

9 comments:

Heidi said...

I really wanted Joe Nathan's Twitter update to be: Dear Heidi, I'm sorry for crushing your soul a little bit.
Seriously, if the Twins were my real boyfriend, I would break up with them because we do not have a healthy relationship.
on a side note my word verification is "rerrari" and I think that is how scooby doo would say ferrari. it made me smile.

Betsy said...

Can his Twitter update say: Dear Heidi and Betsy? I hear ya on having to break up with them if it were a real relationship. It feels all too familiar and like the relationship I was last in! I about wrote that, but on the off chance he read it...yeah, not good!

Love the word verification! lol

Katie said...

Wait... I want in on that Twitter update!

I was silently wishing we were there too to use that sign again, perhaps the boys missed our little cheering section behind home plate.

Betsy said...

Katie...Topper is at fault...told his friend "Good thing he never gives up two of those...".

This list for Joe Nathan's apology is going to get long. lol...

Katie said...

Yeah it is lol

Oh you never say that before the game is actually over lol

Betsy said...

I agree! :)

Topper said...

Hey way to rat me out, that was told in confidence!

Now Joe's gonna know I jinxed him. Don't hate me guys, I messed up. I messed up real bad, I know...

Betsy said...

Sorry! I couldn't let Katie take the blame for this one...or myself! :)

Jenna said...

I totally saw a Cuddyer lookalike walking out of a football game in wisconsin. i thought, why does that man look sooo familiar. then, i immediately thought of this blog. (: