A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Monday, February 1, 2010

TwinsFest 2010

Well another year of TwinsFest has come and gone. I only went on Saturday, because limited funds made it hard to purchase additional tickets, plus I know how tired I get from going one FULL day that I figured one would be plenty!

I got to meet and run into tons of people from the blog world! (Though one person choose to not introduce themselves to me when they found me, I'll let it slide) Met Howard Sinker from A Fan's View, Seth Stohs from Seth Speaks, and John Bonnes from Twins Geek. Met up with bloggers I've met and hung out with before (Katie from KC's Baseball Blog, Kirsten from K-Bro's Baseball Blog, Topper from Curve for a Strike, Tricia from Twins Sisters, and Erin from TwinsGirls: A Baseball Blog) all in all, it was fun chatting with everyone.

I was insane enough to wait in line for pictures with the players. I was not terribly thrilled to have to pay $2 per player to get pictures with them, when in previous years it was free. It kind of seems lame and like a slight rip-off to charge people for admission and getting nothing for free in the process. Sure, if you wanted to wait for 6 hours in the prospects lines, those were free, but everything else costs money. I know that the proceeds from the picture line were going for a good cause (I have nothing against giving money to Haiti through UNICEF, don't get me wrong), I just think that it should have been more of a "suggested donation," than a requirement to pay. I believe they still would have gotten money donated to the good cause.

There was also disappointment this year in the fact that the autograph lines went up by $5 at every station. I never went through many of these lines to begin with, mainly cause if I really want autographs from players, I know that at some point, I can most likely get them for free...plus I also don't want to wait for so long to get the autographs. Two years ago, I waited for a good amount of time to get Kevin Slowey's autograph (since he's my favorite Twins player). I made the mistake of going through his autograph line that he was in with Francisco Liriano. NOTE TO FRONT OFFICE FOLKS WHO MAKE UP TWINSFEST SCHEDULE: Please, for everyone safety, sanity and crowd control, put Francisco Liriano up in the Cambria booth where the likes of Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau and others are. It makes things really crowded down on the turf when he's signing at Station #2.

I was only disappointed with one of the players that I met at TwinsFest, and that was Jon Rauch. I was all excited to get a picture with him standing next to me, since I'm 5'3" and he's 6'11". I got up to him, no pleasantries from him and then when I asked him politely if he would stand up (he was sitting on a chair), he said "I'm not standing for anyone." He was very short with me and very rude. I'm not gonna lie, I like him less now than I did before TwinsFest mainly due to the attitude he had. We paid to get pictures with him, yet I got treated poorly.
Quite honestly, I'd nominate him for the Biggest Douchebag at TwinsFest award.
(Here's my picture with the "cardboard cutout" of Jon Rauch.)

Good Sport award would go to Justin Morneau. I asked him if he would puff up his cheeks (like he does when batting) with Katie's 8 year old nephew, and he did it, just before the picture.
Justin and I...can't tell we were both laughing before this picture, huh?
Mr. Morneau and his usual smirk of a smile...

Nicest newcomer goes to JJ Hardy. He was very sociable to everyone one, even gave hugs to several girls. Plus he was very nice eye candy.
Me and JJ Hardy

Quietest player goes to Carl Pavano. He was nice, just very quiet and seemed like he felt a little out of place in the photo line (and a little uncomfortable).
Myself with Carl

Nicest non-new Twins Player: Kevin Slowey. I already knew he was a very nice guy, but he was very tolerable of the crazy girl by me, and then was willing to take pictures with fans after his autograph session was over (Brendan Harris only stuck around for about 2 pictures before bolting out of there)
Kevin posing for pictures.
Myself with Kevin Slowey

Here are a couple other TwinsFest pictures for everyone:
Jason Kubel and Matt Guerrier

The Justin photo line before us...
The line for Justin photos after us...
Joe Mauer is in there somewhere...

The crowd at TwinsFest on Saturday from the stands by the KSTP AM 1500 booth.

Only 70 days until Home Opener now (and counting!)...21 days until Pitchers and Catchers report for Spring Training.

Also, February 12th is going to be Nick Punto Day. For more information about that go here: Nick Punto Day.

24 comments:

SethSpeaks said...

It was very nice meeting you too. Glad you had a great time. I thought it was a lot of fun! Great pictures!

Betsy said...

Great meeting you too Seth! It's fun to put faces to names/blogs that I check out!

Anonymous said...

Did you think that you were at a freak show at a circus? Maybe Big Jon did not want to stand up to "show off" his size. I see that you also took pitures with other players when they were sitting down. Hey, you might not like Jon, but geez, why dont you cut him some slack!PS: At least he had a big smile on his face!

Betsy said...

Anonymous -
Did I think I was at a freak show at a circus?
No. I never said this. I was just excited to have my picture next to him while he was standing. I paid my $2, and quite honestly I'm sure that's what most people wanted that were in his line (for him to stand).
Yes, Carl Pavano did not stand either, but at least he was pleasant. He said "hello" "how are you"...shook hands with people and was NICE. Rauch was none of those things. He was short, rude, very standoffish and quite frankly a bit a of dick. His presence was voluntary. If he didn't want to do pictures, he didn't have to.
I don't have to cut him any slack. I'm just stating what I observed from his behavior. I had no other bad experiences from other players, just him.
Yes, his fake smile that he plastered on his face for everyone.

Betsy said...

my bad. Yes, JJ Hardy also sat, but he was as nice as can be! He interacted and had a small conversation with everyone that I know that went through the line.

Anonymous said...

Im curious to know about this crazy girl by you in line to meet kevin. What exactly was she doing?

Great pics by the way, looks like you had a lot of fun.

Betsy said...

anonymous 2 - she was just very jumpy at the thought and mention of joe mauer or any twins player...kinda made me laugh.
she kept telling me how she's gonna marry joe mauer...and how she told Justin, his best friend was her future husband.

Heidi said...

what? I tell people all the time that I'm going to marry Joe Mauer. I don't know why you would think that's weird? ;)

Betsy said...

Heidi- you had to heard the way she was doing then...it was like reliving the days of *Nsync concerts...and the teeny bopper girls who jump up and down and swear they are going to marry Justin...

The Common Man said...

While I sympathize with wanting to get a photo of the height difference between you and Rauch (I would have wanted one too), I guess I agree with Anonymous #1. He's going to get that request from every single person, and he's not a trained bear. If I've gleaned anything from following the careers of particularly tall players (Randy Johnson, Frank Howard, etc.), it's that they tend to be sensitive about their heights, particularly because it's constantly being brought to their attention. It's like asking Ernie Lombardi to get close to the camera so his nose looks bigger. And for $2 (that went to Haiti, no less), I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

I also managed to get through Francisco Liriano's line in something like 4 minutes. The huge crowd I encountered (which wrapped around the whole autograph structure) was waiting for Jason Kubel, Delmon Young, and JJ Hardy. Maybe the lines were longer before that.

I love your pics and am glad you had a good time. I agree, Justin is and was a terrific sport. Go Twins!

Betsy said...

The Common Man - My beef with Rauch though, is his attitude and the fact that he was very rude and not nice. Not just about the fact that he wouldn't stand for the picture. I watched him and how he interacted with other people too, and my friend who went through his line with me, and he just wasn't a pleasant guy.

On the day I was there, Kubel signed with Matt Guerrier and Alexi Casilla...not Delmon Young or JJ Hardy.

shorterthanyou said...

I read another blogger who was there, too, and he stated that "Rauch didn't look like the type of guy that would knock the camera out of my hands. He looked the type of guy who would PUNCH the camera out of my hands."

Karleeee said...

All I have to say is I am just irritated with how cute Kevin Slowey is.

Betsy said...

I freaking love Kevin...it's so unhealthy!

Mn Twins Tickets said...

Thank you for this interesting and very well written article. I’ve bookmarked your site

What does a medical assistant do said...

I bookmarked your site. Thanks for all the reading material. I enjoy reading here!

personal injury protocol said...

I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too. Thanks for sharing.

apple computer stores said...

I read another blogger who was there, too, and he stated that "Rauch didn't look like the type of guy that would knock the camera out of my hands. He looked the type of guy who would PUNCH the camera out of my hands."

apple computer stores

Betsy said...

Rauch probably would've punched the camera out of my hands too! lol

reckless virginia said...

Thank you so much for letting us know about this! I must say that you are a very dedicated person to have written a wonderful post like this!
reckless virginia

canada debt consolidation said...

I was just browsing for relevant blog posts for my project research and I happened to stumble upon yours. Thanks for the useful information! :-)

swiftcover car insurance said...

Thank you for this interesting and very well written article. I’ve bookmarked your site

sony vaio vgn said...

Awesome work as always, give my love to your team!

John Sullen said...

hey, nice blog…really like it and added to bookmarks. keep up with good work