A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oh Oscar

Okay, I will admit it.  I thought that Kevin Slowey was going to be the first starting pitcher to go 7 (or more) innings.  I didn't have faith in Carl Pavano to not screw something up.  While Carl gave my nerves a good test last night, he managed to work his way out of some pretty nerve-wracking jams and get out of the innings and his start only giving up 1 run.  I was a little impressed.  I fell asleep about the second batter in for Matty Guerrier, so thankfully I didn't have to see Oscar the Grouch Jon Rauch come out in the 9th inning.  I'm not heartbroken, believe me.  So does anyone else see the resemblance in Oscar and Jon that I do?  There's just something I can't quite put my finger on...


Great job last night by Justin and JJ Hardy going deep again in the game.  It's good to see Hardy off to a good start this season given the season he had last year.  A friend of mine from WI (who is a Brewers fan) wished me luck when JJ got traded over to the Twins.  He still just thinks it's only a matter of time before he starts to suck again.  I think it's the Twins uniform that is helping him flourish!  I think it will continue to work it's magic.
Now all we need to do is get Kubel and Jim Thome hitting balls out of the park and we will be set.  When those boys (yes, I do realize how old Thome is, but he is still one of my boys) start packing heat, we will be a force no one will want to reckon with.

Yesterday while I sat at my desk working hard, two of my coworkers (my temporary boss and the event coordinator) went off to Target Field.  They got a private tour of the stadium and got an in depth look into all the different places where you can host events (573 Club, Metropolitan Club, etc).  Neither one of them knows much (maybe who Joe Mauer is) about baseball, but when you are old enough to have seen Harmon Killebrew play baseball, you should at least know WHO he is and what "573" stands for.  She also had no idea what the gate numbers stood for, or who those players were. (taking hand and hitting palm to forehead).  Here's a good lesson for them, if you would have taken me with you, I could have told you so you wouldn't look like a fool!
They also got to see the loading dock area, which is right by where the players park.  It's a "VIP" parking area, that if you have an event at Target Field (where you rent the facilities), you get to park there too (along with your guests) but have to pay $7 per car to park there.

Tonight: Kevin Slowey gets his shot at the Angels and the Twins get a shot at winning their opening series against the Angels.

Reminder: Home Opener is only 4 days away!  I can't hardly wait!  If you too will be at the Opener, let me know and I'd love to meet readers (along with fellow bloggers)!  I'll probably be one of few people with my Kevin Slowey jersey on!

4 comments:

Jammer said...

I was going to make Slowey my favorite Twin just because I think we are from the same area (Pittsburgh), but then I quickly realized that he is probably the awesomest(?) Twin regardless - I mean, having to sign next to Joe Mauer at Twinsfest and being adorable about it? He gets serious cool points for that one lol.

Betsy said...

He is great! Super nice down to earth guy. I think that's what makes me like him so much. Well that and he's cute! lol

Jon said...

How many consecutive saves is it going to take for you to jump on the "Oscar" bandwagon?

Betsy said...

"Jon" - there are not enough saves in the world to make me jump on the "Oscar" bandwagon. I'm not really a bandwagon type of girl. Sorry.