A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Gardy Has A Man-Crush

I think I'm going to get this sweatshirt for Gardy since he seems to have man crushes on a few different players. (sweatshirt on Zazzle).  It's pretty obvious who he tends to favor and who sits in his doghouse frequently.  It's like watching Jacques Lamaire coach the Wild again and knowing the guy who gets the 5 minutes of ice time, or frequently is the scratched player (even when they are a top prospect).  It's also kind of frustrating at times.

So I really loved watching Wilson Ramos' performance in yesterday's game! It was clear that he's an overall better player than Drew Butera, but to play fair, I think it's also kind of a blow to Drew that Gardy said that Ramos will be the "starting" catcher while Joe is out.  (Which by the way, if Gardy says Joe is "week to week", why aren't they putting him on the DL? It's killing my fantasy team too!)  I think it could potentially make Drew lose even more confidence than he already has (having poor at-bats and a low average).  I think Gardy needs to trust in some of the decisions he makes, and back them up.  Don't get me wrong, I think at this point Ramos is a better starter, I mean how can anyone really argue the day he had yesterday in his first MLB start.  He didn't look like a 22-year old and a rookie at that.  He looked like a professional and if he was nervous, he sure didn't show it.  I however am not going to base my like/dislike (I'm Swiss right now, aka neutral) on one games' performance.  I think you need to consider overall, and roll with that.

I wish I would've been able to catch Saturday's game (even though the Twins lost), but I unfortunately had to work.  Work's been busy, so that's why the blog has been a bit dim this past week.  I promise to try and be better from now on.

I think the Twins did alright on Friday night.  Sure, Kevin Slowey had a meltdown and had a hard time getting through 5 innings.  I think he's been doing a little too many hanging out with Scott Baker.  Scott Baker needs to up his game.  I still love him, and I feel bad that he's had such rough outings, but I think it's more of a mental thing than a not being able to pitch good thing.  It was great seeing Justin go deep in the first inning, I always enjoy those kind of starts.

Saturday's game was disappointing to watch ESPN update the score on my phone, only to see Matty G squander our 2-run lead and then the Twins ultimately lose in extra innings.  Boys, this is not like hockey.  There are no points for losing in extra innings.  If there were, we'd have more than a 1/2 game lead over Detroit.  How the hell did they get so close to us in the standings?!

Sunday's game, well I missed the top half of the first inning, and I missed Orlando Hudson getting a 2-run jack.  Yesterday was the day of me missing every home run that the Twins hit.  I ran to get gas for my car, and in the meanwhile, I missed Thome and Delmon's blasts!  I wished I would have been able to see all of them, but I'll survive missing them.  I'm just glad that the Twins won, Liriano was decent in his outing, and Jesse Crain (Crain-wreck) didn't screw us over big time.

I'm happy the Twins are back home for a good long week +.  I'll be at the game 3 of the 9 game homestand.  It should be fun seeing the boys in person again.  They've been away too long.

One thing I am a little miffed about, the Pat Neshek situation.  If Pat hadn't told the Twins that his finger still hurt, Dick Bremer said he would have been on his way to Triple-A Rochester.  They want to demote Pat Neshek, but yet when Mijares, Crain suck, they get a pat on the butt and another chance to blow things.  Pat Neshek has one bad outing (in all his times out this year) and he gets threatened to be demoted.  Sure I understand that they needed room for Wilson Ramos since Joe is listed as day-to-day, but they had other options.  They aren't in need of the extra bench player for reasons like inter-league play.  They don't go to a NL teams place until June 18th.  There seems to be enough bench options to part with one while Joe is out...and if Joe is out for a couple weeks, putting him on the DL would solve another problem.  Maybe we need to start another one of those "Pitch In For Pat" Campaigns...

Okay, almost forgot the 3 Stars of the Cleveland Series:
3. Delmon Young (yes he didn't play in ever game either, but yesterday I think he showed us what he really is capable of!  I like it!)
2. Wilson Ramos (the rookie only had one game to get on the list, and he deserved it.  Let's hope he keeps this up!)
1. Orlando Hudson (he was a power house and had 3 good nights at the plate.)

2 comments:

Bryz said...

I agree, I'm not exactly pleased with how the Twins have handled Pat Neshek lately.

Betsy said...

Just feels like it's turned into a Glen Perkins-type ordeal, which it definitely is not!