A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Monday, June 21, 2010

The Big Hits

It was hard watching the Twins two of the three games in Philly.  I wasn't too happy that our starting pitching couldn't go into the 3rd inning in either game.  I was ripped off!  I wanted to watch the pitchers awkwardly swing at the ball over and over, and only got to see it once each game.  IT SUCKED.

I watch most of Saturday's game at Park Tavern in St. Louis Park with a bunch of other Twins bloggers!  It was the Twins Centric viewing party and it was fun!  Seth was mean and teased me with Kevin Slowey's email address, ultimately deciding that he wasn't going to give it to me.  (I swear I'd behave if I had it.  I'd probably look at it more than actually use it.  I'd be too scared to do anything about it! HINT HINT, Seth.)  It was hard listening to pretty much what turned out to be the second half of the game on the radio while driving to my home town of Austin for Father's Day.  I think people would have thought I was nuts if they would've been in the car with me, or even seen me from their car.  I was screaming at the top of my lungs when Joe Mauer hit his home run to tie the game.

Of course, the game didn't end there for the Twins, that was just the start of the battle. I thought for sure that Drew Butera's first ever MLB home run was what was going to win it for the Twins.  Then Jon Rauch gave up a home run, blowing the save.  Thankfully the Twins came back in the 11th with 3 more runs to edge out ahead and win the game!

Two games out of 3 in Philly, the reigning NL Division champs of 2009, I'll take it!  Sunday, Carl was outstanding going the distance and pitching a complete game!  He even got a hit to try and help his cause.  It was too bad that Carl put no effort into his running the base line.  He made Jim Thome and Jason Kubel look like fast runners with how slow he trotted to the bases.
Thanks, Carl for being a badass!  I'm still not sure I like the mustache, but if you keep pitching like that, I'll let ya keep it! Even if I do think it's gross.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Pitchers often don't run the bases with much effort, to avoid pulling a muscle while running. (I didn't get to see Sunday's game, so I'm sad to have missed seeing the mustache run.)

Betsy said...

Yeah i figured that's why he didn't run fast, but a little more effort would've been nice :)
He was funny running the bases

CapitalBabs said...

I was glad to see you for at least a little bit! I love the new cards too. We'll catch you again at the next one - or sooner if we decide we should get the girls together to watch some baseball!

Heidi said...

the 'stache has been good to carl...

Betsy said...

it has been good to him. which is why i fear it won't leave us any time soon!

CapitalBabs - girls viewing party! i like it!