A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Don't Mess With Texas

These last few games have been tough to stomach.  It's been hard watching a contending team take on another one and lose 3 games in a row.  Thankfully we haven't lost all the ground we gained on Chicago because Kansas City and Baltimore have been helping our cause.  I think they secretly like the underdog team and just hate the White Sux too.  Who can really blame them for that?

It's been tough this year watching players get hurt and go on the DL for extended periods of time.  The latest victims, Kevin Slowey (which probably makes me the most saddened) and Ron Mahay.  Both were lost in the same game, during another tough pill to swallow.  I don't think the Twins have been a team this year that should lose to the Angels.  They're not the same threat they were a year ago, but the Twins played them like they were.  These and other teams like Texas are ones that we have to stand up and fight to win.
Karlee and I fighting over TC.
Maybe the Twins need to take a page from Karlee and fight tooth and nail over what's important.  If they want to stay in first place, they need to win games and win big games.  Win games when Chicago loses and gain more ground than a mere 3.5 games.  Sooner or later that small lead will be nothing if they don't capitalize on it early.  I know, I don't really want to see yet another game 163, for the third year in a row.  The regular season is long enough and stressful enough.  Who needs a game chalk full of stress??
Joe Mauer checking his swing
Last weekend, I explored the option of Standing Room Only tickets.  I'll put it this way, they were not my favorite.  I like keeping score and I'm short, so I have to stand in front in order to see over people.  With that being said, we had to get their super early in order to get what we considered to be a "good" spot (just to the third base side behind home plate on the lower level)...and we waited and waited some more for the game to start.  In the whole day (which we opted for seats by the 6th inning, granted in the hot sun but seats nonetheless) we spent probably 6 hours standing.  The game was around 4 hours long, and we were there when gates opened.  It was a long day for sure.  If you don't mind standing, those kind of tickets are fine, and cheap.
Kevin Slowey pitching
One of the perks of being there so early on a Saturday?  I got to watch the Twins take batting practice.  Not that it's terribly exciting, but it's fun being able to stand down right by the dug out and watch them.
Jim Thome is such a bad ass, he doesn't need a glove!
Timmy (Scott Baker) and his not so good looking facial hair.
Jason Repko
We also got to check out TC take on a couple of the Minnesota Wild hockey players in the home run contest.  (Josh Harding and Clayton Stoner).  To put it nicely, Clayton Stoner should stick to playing hockey.
All in all, despite the heat, it was a nice day and tons of fun.  I'm looking forward to when the Twins are at home again, and I can see them live at Target Field (my second home) some more!  26 games hasn't been enough yet this season!  (For those who care and seem to ask every now and then, my record is 21-5).  Bring on the Tigers and bring on some more winning!

Hopefully the Twins can take on Texas tonight, deep in the heart of Texas and beat the heat of Cliff Lee.  Cliff Lee (knock on wood) has not won since his trade.  Let's hope that lucky streak he's got going, continues and the Twins benefit from it tonight.  We've seem to have good success against him so far this season (and in years' past).  I'm hoping for another L in Cliff Lee's stats (even though he's on my fantasy team).
That's it for now!  GO TWINS!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I was just thinking of you because I stayed up for all eighty-five billion innings just to watch the inevitable disaster....blah....

Mn Twins Tickets said...

I was just browsing for relevant blog posts for my project research and I happened to stumble upon yours. Thanks for the useful information! :-)