A girls view of baseball...knowing the game, loving the game, and loving and appreciating the boys who play the game.

All photos are ©Betsy Bissen (unless otherwise noted) Do not use without permission.

Friday, May 6, 2011

A Gem of A Night

Photo courtesy of Sara Conrad
I'm sure most (if not all) of you have heard that Steve Holm has been sent back down to Triple A and Rene Rivera has been called up to take his spot.  I'm skeptical like every other Twins fan about whether or not Rivera will really make any more of a difference than Steve Holm did.

I'm jealous of some of my friends.  They got to witness Liriano's no hitter the other night in Chicago.  It wasn't that exciting of a game, nor was it a clean game. Liriano gave up 6 walks and only had 2 strikeouts
Liriano – no hitter/6 walks (friends witnessing the event).  They said it was a little cold outside (they looked cold too in snow hats and winter jackets), but I'm sure they were happy to be there to witness the first no hitter of the 2011 season.  I know I was glad that it was the Twins and Francisco Liriano who got the first one!  I do think Liriano owes Jason Kubel a meal (at least a beer) because without that home run, who knows how long that game might have gone on.

It was nice to see the Twins sweep the White Sux.  Sure, they were a team that before that series, was only one place ahead of us in the division, but it's quite possible that it could be the jump the teams needs to start winning.

I guess having 1/3 of the Triple A Red Wings players here may also be something that could boost the Twins and make them start winning.  I know a lot of people don't really have faith in a team that is compiled of so many triple-a players, but I'm trying to keep the faith in these guys until they prove me otherwise.
Welcome to the other Red Wings: Plouffe, Revere, Tosoni.

The news that's been announced that I enjoyed the most is that Kevin Slowey will be activated after the game tonight.  He's going to still be in the bullpen as the long reliever.  My guess is Alex Burnett with get the ax and be sent back down to Triple-A to make room for Slowey.
Can Liraino pitch a gem again?  This is the question everyone will be looking for an answer to come Monday night when Liriano is scheduled to pitch again.  I don't want to make an calls on this because I honestly don't know if he has it in him to do it again. I guess we will all see

Twins take on Boston all weekend and then are home on Tuesday to face the Tigers.

No comments: